Palestinian teen killed in West Bank arrest raids

Friday 20 June 2014 15.35
Israeli soldiers during a night raid on the West Bank village of Arura
Israeli soldiers during a night raid on the West Bank village of Arura

Israeli soldiers shot dead a teenage Palestinian boy in overnight clashes in the occupied West Bank as they pressed a hunt for three missing Israeli teenagers, medical sources said.

The soldiers are carrying out house-to-house searches for Gil-Ad Shaer, Naftali Fraenkel and Eyal Yifrah, who went missing eight days ago.

Palestinian medics said Mohammed Dudin was killed in the village of Dura, near the city of Hebron in the West Bank.

The Israeli military said troops had fired live ammunition when rocks and firebombs were thrown at them during an arrest raid.

Israel said it arrested 25 people overnight in 200 towns, refugee camps and cities in the West Bank.

It brings the total number of arrests to 330, including 240 from Hamas, the Islamist group Israel accuses of kidnapping the three teenagers who went missing near a Jewish settlement on 13 June.

Dudin was the second Palestinian killed since the raids began.

Palestinians threw a hand grenade wounding a soldier elsewhere in the West Bank, the military said.

About 1,150 sites in the territory have so far been searched, the military said.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has condemned the kidnappings.

He said that the extent of Israel's raids amounted to collective punishment and urged they be condemned.

Hamas has not claimed responsibility for the kidnappings. 

Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said that "regardless of who was responsible ... the Palestinian people have the right to use all forms of resistance in order to liberate land and people".