IMPACT puts Aer Lingus strike action on hold

Wednesday 11 June 2014 22.14
1 of 2
Cabin crew believe sufficient progress has been made to call off the strikes
Cabin crew believe sufficient progress has been made to call off the strikes
Talks aimed at averting industrial action took place at the Labour Court
Talks aimed at averting industrial action took place at the Labour Court

IMPACT has confirmed that cabin crew strikes at Aer Lingus scheduled for next week have been called off, pending consideration of a Labour Court recommendation that will be issued tomorrow.

The union met Aer Lingus management at the Labour Court today in a bid to avert two days of industrial action next week.

IMPACT Assistant General Secretary Michael Landers said the cabin crew believed sufficient progress had been made to call off the strikes.

Arriving for the talks earlier today, Aer Lingus Director of Communications Declan Kearney said the most immediate issue was for IMPACT to call off its strike, which was set to disrupt up to 80,000 passengers.

Asked whether the company was prepared to restore the cabin crew entitlement to cheap flights in return for the strike being called off, he added that they were not prepared to negotiate in public.

However, he said that was obviously a matter under consideration at the Labour Court.

Customers did not deserve to be held ransom in this situation, he added.

Mr Landers this afternoon said cabin crew were at the talks to find a solution to the dispute, which was now in the hands of the court.

Asked whether the union would agree to adhere to whatever proposal emerges from the court, Mr Landers said it would be foolish to commit to that in advance.

He said the cabin crew had received support from the public while on strike, and accused the company of failing to negotiate until the union had threatened strike action.  

Keywords: aer lingus, impact