Death toll in Nigerian bomb blast rises to 118

Tuesday 20 May 2014 23.53
1 of 2
The attack took place at a crowded market in the central Nigerian city of Jos
The attack took place at a crowded market in the central Nigerian city of Jos
118 bodies have been recovered from debris
118 bodies have been recovered from debris

At least 118 people have been killed in a car bomb attack in the central Nigerian city of Jos, the country's relief agency has said.

It also warned that the death toll could rise further.

The attack appeared to bear the hallmarks of Boko Haram insurgents, however there was no immediate claim of responsibility.

"The exact figure of the dead bodies recovered as of now is 118," Mohammed Abdulsalam, coordinator for the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) in the city, told AFP.

He added that "more bodies may be in the debris" of buildings which collapsed due to the intensity of the blasts.

Fifty-six people were injured in the twin blasts, Mr Abdulsalam said.

The military said that improvised explosive devices were hidden inside a truck and a minibus and went off within 20 minutes of each other.

Chris Olakpe, the police commissioner of Plateau state of which Jos is the capital, told reporters earlier that 46 people were killed and 45 others were injured.

He maintained later: "We are saying 46. That's the number we have in the morgues. But we are not ruling out more bodies."

Boko Haram has set off bombs across the north and centre of Nigeria in an increasingly bloody campaign for an Islamic state.

The group grabbed world headlines by abducting more than 200 schoolgirls on 14 April from the northeastern village of Chibok.

Britain, the United States and France have pledged to help rescue them.