Turkish mine rescue winds up as death toll reaches 301

Saturday 17 May 2014 21.41
1 of 5
A demonstration in Istanbul for the victims of the Soma mine accident
A demonstration in Istanbul for the victims of the Soma mine accident
Turkish officials say all bodies have now been accounted for
Turkish officials say all bodies have now been accounted for
Relatives mourn next to a grave of miner killed in disaster
Relatives mourn next to a grave of miner killed in disaster
Friends and relatives of the miners who died in an explosion at the Soma mine pray in Soma cemetery
Friends and relatives of the miners who died in an explosion at the Soma mine pray in Soma cemetery
A miner rests during the rescue operation
A miner rests during the rescue operation

Rescue workers in Turkey have begun winding up their operations after finding the bodies of what are believed to be the final two miners, bringing the death toll to 301.

The incident is Turkey's worst industrial disaster.

Earlier, a fire broke out in the mine, hindering the rescue teams. 

Turkey's energy minister Taner Yildiz said it had been extinguished and two more dead workers found.

He said the numbers added up with the missing persons' information provided by families

Anger has swept Turkey as the extent of the disaster became clear.

Protests aimed at mine owners accused of ignoring safety for profit have taken place.

Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan's government has also been accused of being too close to industry tycoons and insensitive in its reaction to the tragedy.
              
Riot police fired tear gas and water cannon to disperse several thousand protesters in Soma yesterday.

Keywords: mine, turkey