Sgt Maurice McCabe has access to Pulse system restoredSaturday 10 May 2014 22.50
Whistleblower Sgt Maurice McCabe has had his access to the Garda Pulse computer system fully restored.
Interim Garda Commissioner Noirin O'Sullivan yesterday informed Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald that, following a review, Sgt McCabe's access to the Pulse system was being restored immediately.
Sgt McCabe was told of this decision on yesterday evening and it was confirmed to him in person by Assistant Commissioner for the Eastern Region Kieran Kenny today.
Sgt McCabe's access to the system had been blocked for around 18 months.
The Garda Siochana Ombusdman commission has responded to the charge that it, along with the Justice Minister and gardaí, did not appear to heed the voice of Sgt McCabe.
GSOC’s Kieran FitzGerald said they met with Sgt McCabe on several occasions and while they were sympathetic to his situation they all understood the commission is prohibited from receiving complaints from a serving garda.
Earlier, Tánaiste Eamon Gilmore described the Guerin Report as "shocking" and said he agrees with its recommendation that a commission of investigation needs to be set up into the matter.
The report looked into allegations that serious crimes were not investigated properly by gardaí.
Mr Gilmore said the establishment of the commission will be discussed by the Cabinet on Tuesday and said the fundamental issues is the restoration of public confidence in the Garda Siochána.
He said the report also shows that there are issues that the Department of Justice must address and respond to.
He said he expects the new Minister for Justice will look at all aspects of management at the department and bring recommendations to Government.
Yesterday, the Minister for Justice said there will be a commission of investigation following the publication of the report.
Earlier today, garda whistleblower John Wilson said he would like to meet former Minister for Justice Alan Shatter.
Mr Shatter resigned from his ministerial position on Wednesday ahead of the publication of the Guerin Report.
The report, by barrister Sean Guerin, reviewed allegations by garda whistleblower Sergeant Maurice McCabe that serious crimes were not investigated properly by gardaí, the Department of Justice, and other agencies.
Speaking on RTÉ's Marian Finucane Show, Mr Wilson said he thought Mr Shatter did not challenge any of the information given to him of garda misconduct and it was unfortunate for a Government minister to do that.
The former garda said he takes no great pleasure in anyone's demise and he considers Mr Shatter to be a capable and competent individual.
"Mr Shatter ... he really didn't challenge any of the information that he was given. I mean he took it all at face value. And really for a Government minister to do that I think it's most unfortunate. Now on a personal basis I would like to meet the man. I mean I have no personal animosity against Alan Shatter", he said.
Mr Wilson also said the garda force has been seriously damaged by recent developments and that the Guerin Report will not be the last damaging report against the force.