Controversial child beauty pageant to take place again next year

Friday 02 May 2014 16.18
Minister for Children Frances Fitzgerald described the pageants as 'inappropriate'
Minister for Children Frances Fitzgerald described the pageants as 'inappropriate'

The US company behind a controversial child beauty pageant, which took place in Co Monaghan last September, will be returning to Ireland to host another event later this year.

Universal Royalty, a Texas based company, said it will hold what it calls a GLITZ beauty pageant for babies, toddlers and teens in Ireland as part of an international pageant tour.

According to the Universal Royalty website, a pageant will take place in Ireland on 20 September.

In September last year, around 20 contestants including toddlers, children and teenagers took part in a beauty contest at Corrigan's Pub in Castleblayney Co Monaghan.

A Dublin hotel which had been due to host the contest cancelled the booking days beforehand.

It came amid criticism of the pageant, including from Minister for Children Frances Fitzgerald, who described such events as "inappropriate".

A spokesman for the Irish Hotels Federation said that while it is a matter for each hotel to determine its own commercial activities, the IHF opposes the holding of child beauty pageants in Ireland.

He said that organisers of child beauty pageants should clearly identify the nature of their event at the time of booking.