Fatal dangerous driving case adjourned

Tuesday 08 April 2014 16.43
Shaun Kelly is still to be examined by an expert over whether he is fit to plead
Shaun Kelly is still to be examined by an expert over whether he is fit to plead

A Donegal man charged with dangerous driving causing the deaths of eight men near Clonmany, Donegal in July 2010 has had his case adjourned again.

Shaun Kelly, 24, of Hill Road, Buncrana, had his case adjourned  last week at Letterkenny Circuit Court  because the State had not had the accused examined by an expert in relation to the issue of whether or not he is fit to plead.

Judge Keenan Johnson today further adjourned the case to Thursday after he said that he wants details of an appointment with an expert who is to examine the defendant on behalf of the State on his fitness to stand trial.

The judge said it "beggared belief" that the case was no further than when it was adjourned last week.

Judge Johnson said: "I want details of an appointment and I want it to be within the next week to ten days.

“It beggars belief that we are no further than we were last week. That's just not good enough so I am adjourning this case to Thursday and I want somebody available."

Judge Johnson was told by barrister Patricia McLaughlin that strenuous efforts had been made to source an expert to examine the defendant.

Ms McLaughlin said: "The original expert we had is no longer available as he does not do reports for court anymore."

She said two experts at Beaumont Hospital had been contacted by phone, letter and fax but to no avail.

Defence barrister Peter Nolan said: "We would have thought some expert would be made available but no arrangement has even been made."

The case comes before the circuit court again on Thursday.