Councillors vote to abandon Poolbeg Incinerator Project

Tuesday 04 March 2014 16.41
Dublin City Council said last week it estimated it would spend a further €600,000 on the project over the next five months
Dublin City Council said last week it estimated it would spend a further €600,000 on the project over the next five months

A spokesman for Dublin City Council has confirmed that councillors voted last night to abandon the Poolbeg incinerator project.

The council has already spent €96m on the Dublin Waste to Energy project and faces rulings from the EU on complaints that it contravenes rules on State aid and procurement.

City Manager Owen Keegan told the council he was awaiting the outcome of the complaints.

He said he would report back to the council on the future of the project at that stage.

Last week, the council said it estimated it would spend a further €600,000 on the project over the next five months if construction went ahead.

Keywords: poolbeg