Gardaí reject allegation that well-known sports figure had penalty points cancelledWednesday 22 January 2014 22.03
Gardaí have dismissed allegations that a well-known sports star was caught speeding five times in one day but received no fines or penalty points.
RTÉ News has learned that a person of the same name as a well-known sports figure was caught speeding on five occasions on the one day by a garda GoSafe van.
However, garda discretion was exercised because the man told gardaí his house was flooded and he was rushing around trying to mend pipes and save his possessions.
The allegations are contained in two boxes of material that were submitted to Garda Headquarters in the past day and are currently being examined by a team of officers.
The allegations are believed to have originated from two garda whistleblowers. One of whom is retired, while the other is still serving.
Another allegation that a ticket issued to a speeding driver in October 2012 should not have been cancelled because it was being tested by an NCT driver has also been deemed to be a discretionary cancellation.
RTÉ News has learned this fixed charge notice was cancelled after the manager of the NCT centre wrote to the gardaí, verified the car was in fact being tested and offered to pay the speeding fine.
Whistleblower invited to appear before PAC
The Public Accounts Committee has invited a whistleblower to appear before it next Thursday.
It comes following a request from a whistleblower to appear before it.
The members of the committee will decide after talking to him whether they will hold a private or public session.
It is understood the whistleblower is a serving member of the gardaí.
The committee has already received a box of documents and a letter in relation to the penalty points.
It is understood a further batch of evidence, regarding the penalty points system, was given to the clerk of the Public Accounts Committee by Sinn Fein's Pádraig Mac Lochlainn today.
Fresh allegations that senior garda officers illegally, corruptly or inappropriately cancelled fixed charge notices that could incur fines and penalty points emerged in the past day, ahead of Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan's appearance before the Public Accounts Committee tomorrow.
Of the material being examined, much of the first box has already been dealt with in Assistant Commissioner John O'Mahony's report released last year.
That found no evidence that penalty points notices were improperly cancelled because of corruption, deception, falsification of records or malpractice.
The contents of the second box are still being examined by senior gardaí.
The Garda Inspectorate said this evening its report on the penalty points system is almost completed and will be sent to the minister.
This is expected to take place within the next few weeks.