Salmonella can be strongly resistant to disinfectants

Friday 17 January 2014 11.29
Once salmonella is established for seven days, even soaking it in disinfectant for 30 minutes will not kill it
Once salmonella is established for seven days, even soaking it in disinfectant for 30 minutes will not kill it

New research on salmonella bacteria, one of the most common causes of food poisoning, shows the bug is strongly resistant to disinfectants once it gets established in food-processing facilities.

The research by Dr Mary Corcoran, of the National University of Ireland, Galway, details how the bacteria establishes itself on hard surfaces and forms a biofilm to anchor it.

It is then rendered resistant to three of the most common types of disinfectant.

The research shows that once salmonella is established for seven days, even soaking it in disinfectant for 30 minutes will not kill it.

The strain of salmonella used in the study is the one which caused a severe outbreak of salmonella poisoning across ten European countries in 2012.

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use