Trial hears details of Leitrim student's death

Wednesday 15 January 2014 22.00
Andrew Dolan died after being attacked on a night out
Andrew Dolan died after being attacked on a night out

The trial of a man and a woman accused of the manslaughter of a biomedical science student outside a chip shop in Mullingar, Co Westmeath, has been told the student pleaded with his attackers not to hit him.

Patrick Daly, 24, and Jessica Hughes, 21, have denied killing Andrew Dolan from Carrick-on-Shannon after meeting him while on the way home from a night out just before Christmas 2011.

Mr Dolan, 20, never regained consciousness after the incident.

The Leitrim man had been out with friends at a birthday party in Mullingar on 23 December 2011.

On the first day of the trial at Mullingar Circuit Court, the jury heard that Mr Dolan and his friends, Ian Farrell and Simon Mills, were the subject of an aggressive and unprovoked confrontation outside a chip shop.

Mr Farrell was punched in the head. Mr Dolan was repeatedly struck, fell and lost consciousness; he died nine days later at Beaumont Hospital.

Ms Hughes from Killucan in Co Westmeath has been charged with Mr Dolan's manslaughter.

Mr Daly from Clonard in Co Meath is also accused of the killing and faces a second charge of assaulting Mr Farrell.

A bar manager who worked near the chip shop told the court today that he witnessed the attack on Mr Dolan.

Aidan Conroy said he saw the 20-year-old student reversing away from his attackers and heard him say: "Don’t hit me. Please don’t hit me."

He said he saw one of Mr Dolan's friends coming out into the street to try to save him but there were two young men on the road with him.

He added that he heard Mr Dolan repeat the words: "Please don't hit me" and he saw him getting hit before falling to the ground.

Mr Conroy told the court Mr Dolan shouted out when he hit the ground. "He then let a couple of kicks out of his legs - and that was it."

He said he told one of the men who was involved in the incident to stay at the scene as he believed the man on the ground was dead.

The trial was told a third person involved in the incident, 21-year-old Patrick Farrell, had already pleaded guilty to manslaughter and had been sentenced by the courts.

The trial in front of a jury of seven men and five women is expected to last for more than five days .