Police to investigate Nigella Lawson drug claimsSunday 22 December 2013 17.49
Police are to review TV cook Nigella Lawson's admission that she took cocaine.
The 53-year-old "Domestic Goddess" revealed during the fraud trial of her two former assistants that she took the class-A drug with her late husband John Diamond when he found out he had terminal cancer.
She also admitted that she took it in July 2010 when she claimed she was being "subjected to intimate terrorism" by her former husband, Charles Saatchi.
Scotland Yard had said last week that officers would not look into the issue at this stage, but the force would review the decision if new evidence came to light.
However, in a statement released last night, the force revealed that "a specialist team from the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) will examine the evidence emerging as part of a review into this matter".
Mr Saatchi claimed in an email that Ms Lawson's drug use meant she allowed their former assistants, Francesca and Elisabetta Grillo, to spend what they liked.
The message said: "Of course now the Grillos will get off on the basis that you (and) Mimi were so off your heads on drugs that you allowed the sisters to spend whatever they liked and, yes, I believe every word they have said."
Scotland Yard's statement last night said: "After the MPS's decision not to investigate at this stage was queried in press reporting, we would like to clarify the position with regard to this witness.
"The senior investigating officer received legal advice that the witness's admissions did not by themselves provide sufficient evidence to bring charges.
"On that basis therefore, and in absence of any other corroboration, there is no imminent prospect of a prosecution being mounted.
"As we said however, should any evidence come to light that can be investigated further, we will review this decision. A specialist team from the MPS will nevertheless examine all the evidence emerging as part of a review into this matter and in conjunction with the Crown Prosecution Service, will determine an appropriate way forward.
Commander Stephen Watson said the evidence heard in the trial at Isleworth Crown Court would have "implications".
Meanwhile Ms Lawson told a Sunday newspaper that she had "toughened up" in the past year.
She added in a statement issued to the newspaper by her publicist Mark Hutchinson: "I will survive this and move forward. I just want to focus on family life and work."