Jury fails to reach verdict in retrial over €2.2m robbery and kidnap

Friday 20 December 2013 17.38
Jury of eight women and four men discharged after failing to reach a verdict in the trial
Jury of eight women and four men discharged after failing to reach a verdict in the trial

A jury has failed to reach a verdict in the retrial of two men previously convicted of carrying out a €2.2 million kidnapping and robbery.

Mark Farrelly, 42, and 66-year-old Christopher Corcoran were alleged to have been part of an armed gang which kidnapped the family of a Securicor worker during the robbery in March 2005.

The gang took Paul Richardson's wife and their two teenage sons into the Dublin Mountains and held them at gunpoint overnight.

Other gang members held Mr Richardson at the family home until the next morning when he was told to go to work and deliver the cash to a drop-off point.

Mr Corcoran of Bayside Boulevard North, Sutton and Mr Farrelly of Moatview Court, Priorswood in Coolock had denied charges of falsely imprisoning the Richardsons at Ashcroft, Raheny on 13 and 14 March 2005.

They also denied the robbery of €2.28m from Mr Richardson and Securicor Security Services Ireland on 14 March.

After deliberating at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court for 18-and-a-half hours, the jury today told Judge Martin Nolan that they were unable to reach a majority verdict on the charges against the pair.

Judge Nolan discharged the jury of eight men and three women.

He thanked them for their service and described the case as a "long and arduous" one.

He remanded both men on continuing bail to come before the court again on 20 January next.

Yesterday, 39-year-old Jason Kavanagh of Corduff Avenue in Blanchardstown was convicted for his part in the robbery and kidnapping.

On Tuesday, the jury unanimously acquitted Alan Costello of Cromcastle Road in Coolock of all charges, after deliberating for nearly ten hours.

Kavanagh, Mr Farrelly and Mr Corcoran were previously found guilty of the same charges in 2009.

Judge Tony Hunt sentenced Mr Corcoran to 12 years and jailed the other two men for 25 years each.

Following a Supreme Court ruling in February 2012, which ruled that the type of search warrant used in the investigation was unconstitutional, the Court of Criminal Appeal overturned these convictions and ordered a retrial.

The original trial lasted 66 days and was the longest criminal trial in Irish legal history.