Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland investigating death of teenager after peanut reaction

Friday 20 December 2013 18.58
Emma Sloan died after suffering anaphylactic shock
Emma Sloan died after suffering anaphylactic shock

An investigation is under way after a 14-year-old girl collapsed and died on O'Connell Street in Dublin on Wednesday night.

Emma Sloan, of Mourne Road in Drimnagh, died after suffering anaphylactic shock brought on by a peanut allergy.

The teenager was not carrying her medication with her. Efforts to obtain an emergency Epipen injection from a nearby pharmacy were unsuccessful.

The pharmacy regulatory body, the Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland, has begun an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the girl's death.

The girl's mother tried to obtain the medicine from the Hamilton Long Pharmacy on O'Connell Street, but the pharmacy was unable to dispense the required drugs.

The girl collapsed on the street a short time later and was brought to Temple Street Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Today, the pharmacy involved expressed its deepest sympathies to the family.

However, a spokesperson said they had been advised not to make any public comment while investigations were under way.

In a statement to RTÉ News, the Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland said officers from its inspection and enforcement unit had visited the pharmacy today.

The PSI said it also wished to extend its sympathy to the family.