Child pornography suspect remanded for further two weeks

Tuesday 12 November 2013 22.10
Eric Eoin Marques was remanded in further custody until 26 November
Eric Eoin Marques was remanded in further custody until 26 November

An Irishman, described by the FBI as "the largest facilitator of child porn in the world", has had his case adjourned by the High Court for two weeks.

Eric Eoin Marques is wanted in the US on charges relating to conspiring to distribute and advertise child pornography, and advertising and distributing child pornography.

The 28-year-old is contesting his extradition and wants to have his case dealt with in Ireland instead.

The charges against Mr Marques, of Mountjoy Square in Dublin, relate to images on over 100 "anonymous websites" described as being extremely violent, graphic and depicting the rape and torture of pre-pubescent children.

The court previously heard that if convicted Mr Marques faces spending the remainder of his natural life in prison as the four charges could result in a sentence totalling 100 years.

Lawyers for Mr Marques told the High Court they were seeking a two-week adjournment and the court heard there was no objection from the State.

Mr Justice John Edwards said he was anxious to progress the matter given that Mr Marques is in custody.

Mr Justice Edwards further remanded him in custody and the case will be mentioned again on 26 November.