Estimated 1200 dead after typhoon Haiyan batters PhilippinesSaturday 09 November 2013 23.08
Typhoon Haiyan has devastated the central Philippine city of Tacloban, killing at least 1200 people and destroying most houses in a surge of flood water and high winds.
The toll of death and damage from what is thought to be possibly the strongest storm ever to hit land, is expected to rise as rescue workers and soldiers reach areas cut off by the storm.
The Philippine Red Cross estimated that more than 1,000 people were killed in Tacloban and at least 200 in Samar province
The category five storm weakened after hitting six spots in the Philippines and has been downgraded to category 4.
Forecasters have said it could strengthen again over the South China Sea on its course to hit Vietnam.
Deputy director general of the Civil Aviation Authority Captain John Andrews said: "Bodies are lying on the street," citing a 5am message from a station manager who only makes contact every four hours to conserve battery power.
Before communications were cut yesterday, city officials had reported heavy flooding.
Mobile phone networks, power lines andtrees were toppled and most roads were cut off.
"Almost all houses were destroyed, many are totally damaged. Only a few are left standing, but with partial damage," said Major Rey Balido, a spokesman for the national disaster agency, adding that severed communication links made it hard to fix casualties.
About a million people took shelter in 37 provinces after President Benigno Aquino appealed to those in the typhoon's path to leave vulnerable areas.
Meteorologists said the impact may not have been as strong as feared because the storm was moving so quickly.
This reduced the risk of flooding and landslides from torrential rain, the biggest causes of typhoon casualties in the Philippines.
Ferry services and airports in the central Philippines remained closed, hampering aid deliveries to Tacloban.
The military said two C-130 transport planes managed to land at its airport earlier today.
Mr Andrews said the airport terminal was destroyed by the typhoon, which also blew off the roof of the airport tower in Roxas City in Capiz province to the west.
At least two more people had been killed on the tourist destination of Cebu island, radio reports said.
The typhoon was hovering 440km west of San Jose, in south western Occidental Mindoro province, packing winds of a maximum 175kph, with gusts of up to 210kph.
The storm lashed the islands of Leyte and Samar with 275-kph wind gusts and 5-6 metre waves yesterday before scouring the northern tip of Cebu province.
It weakened slightly as it moved west-northwest near the tourist island of Boracay, later hitting Mindoro island.
Haiyan was the second Category 5 typhoon to hit the Philippines this year after Typhoon Usagi in September.
An average of 20 typhoons strike every year, and Haiyan was the 24th in 2013.
Last year, Typhoon Bopha flattened three towns in southern Mindanao, killing 1,100 people and causing damage of more than €1 billion.
Meanwhile,Typhoon Haiyan is now bearing down on Vietnam.
Tens of thousands of people are being evacuated.
The storm is expected to make landfall south of Hanoi on Monday afternoon but with less strength.