SIPTU Dublin Bus drivers vote against industrial actionWednesday 06 November 2013 21.45
Drivers at Dublin Bus belonging to SIPTU have voted not to take industrial action over cost cuts at the company.
Last week, the drivers narrowly rejected the cost-reduction measures.
The measures had been accepted by all other grades, including the half of the drivers represented by the National Bus and Rail Union.
However, SIPTU held another ballot to see if members were prepared to take industrial action.
It said 72% of those who voted said they were not prepared to do so.
Dublin Bus welcomed the outcome of the ballot and said it would implement the measures from Sunday 17 November.
In a statement, it said the last number of years had been difficult for all employees as cost-cutting and change programmes were implemented.
Minister for Transport Leo Varadkar and Minister of State for Public Transport Alan Kelly said the outcome is in the best interests of the company, all of its employees and everyone who depends on its services.
SIPTU Organiser John Murphy said union members will continue to fight against the continuing cuts to their employment conditions.
He said: "The acceptance of the cost-reduction proposals by a majority of their colleagues in previous ballots indicated to bus drivers that any strike action would not have the level of unity and support which would be required to successfully fend off the proposed cuts."