Dublin City Council hits back at water restrictions criticism

Monday 04 November 2013 23.32
City Engineer has denied that water restrictions are having a significant impact
City Engineer has denied that water restrictions are having a significant impact

Dublin City Council has hit back at criticism of water restrictions made by restaurant owners.

In a statement to the council's monthly meeting City Engineer Michael Philips denied that restrictions are having a significant impact.

He said the most vocal complaints had come from the Restaurant Association of Ireland.

But Mr Philips said all water customers were supposed to have 24 hours water storage on site and not have appliances connected directly to the mains.

"Restaurants that comply with these conditions should not have been adversely affected," he said.

The council has announced that production appears to be returning to normal at the Ballymore Eustace plant and restrictions will be reviewed next Thursday.

New polyelectrolytes are being used in the process to remove impurities at Ballymore Eustace and production has increased to 252 million litres last Sunday compared to 210 the previous Wednesday.

But the council says production will have to be up to at least 280 million litres a day and storage levels will also have to be brought back up.

The council blamed production problems on the "changing quality of incoming water" at the plant which treatment process had been failing to cope with.

But a number of councillors criticised the on-going problem of supplying water to one million people in the Greater Dublin Area and said infrastructure to provide proper reserves should be put in place before water metering.

Councillors passed motions calling for capacity issues to be addressed and for a meeting with Irish Water and Department of Environment officials.