A week after his death in Rome the controversy surrounding the burial of Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke shows no sign of resolution.
When he died last Friday many Italians thought that it would draw a line under one of the most controversial cases of Italy’s Second World War history.
Erich Priebke was convicted in 1996 for his part in the 1944 Ardeatine massacre – one of Italy’s worst war time atrocities.
The massacre was carried out as revenge for a bomb blast in Rome city centre which killed 33 German soldiers who were part of the German army occupying Rome during World War II.
Hitler reportedly ordered that for every German life lost, ten Italians should be killed. In the end 335 Italians were taken to a cave outside of Rome and shot dead.
As an SS captain in the city, Priebke was responsible for transporting the people to the caves to be killed.
After the war Priebke made his way to Argentina where he lived until he was finally extradited to Italy in 1995.
During his trial in Rome he declared he was not guilty of the crime, but did not deny involvement.
He said that the deaths were not his responsibility and that he was carrying out the orders given by superiors. At no point did he ever express any remorse for what he had done.
He was convicted but given his advanced age he was sentenced to house arrest. He lived in a suburb of Rome up until his death last week at the age of 100.
He could often be seen shopping, visiting restaurants and meeting with his legal team in the quiet area of Rome where a constant security presence watched his movements carefully.
He had become a deeply polarising figure – hated by so many for his involvement in the Ardeatine massacre – but also a figurehead for neo-Nazi groups in Italy.
On the outskirts of Rome a memorial stands to the 335 who died in Ardeatine. Their graves lined up side by side resting in peace - something which Erich Priebke has yet to do.
Nasty scenes between supporters and protesters earlier this week meant his funeral had to be abandoned. Priebke had asked that he be buried in Argentina but the government there has refused.
His native Germany also said it did not want him returned. Now his remains wait in a military airport outside Rome as authorities argue about what to do.
His family say they want his remains back, but Italian authorities say they need to know where he will be buried.