Plumber sent for trial over carbon monoxide death in Cork

Thursday 03 October 2013 23.12
1 of 2
Richard Davis is charged with the manslaughter of Miriam Reidy
Richard Davis is charged with the manslaughter of Miriam Reidy
Miriam Reidy had been attending a hen party at a hotel in Kinsale when she died
Miriam Reidy had been attending a hen party at a hotel in Kinsale when she died

A 45-year-old plumber has been returned for trial to the Circuit Criminal Court in Cork charged in connection with the death from carbon monoxide poisoning of a woman at a hotel in 2011.

Richard Davis, from Killanully, Ballygarvan, Co Cork, is charged with the manslaughter of 35-year-old Miriam Reidy.

Ms Reidy was in Kinsale in Co Cork on 10 January, 2011, attending a hen party ahead of her first cousin's wedding.

She is thought to have returned with her sister Patricia to the Trident Hotel, where they were staying, at around 3am the following morning.

Friends became concerned when the women had not checked out of the hotel later that afternoon.

When their room was checked, Miriam was found dead.

Her sister Patricia was found unconscious nearby and was rushed to Cork University Hospital, where she was treated for several days.

An inquest into Miriam Reidy's death heard evidence that she died of acute carbon monoxide poisoning.

This morning, Mr Davis was served with a book of evidence at the district court in Kinsale.

He is charged with the manslaughter of Miriam Reidy, and with two related charges under health and safety legislation.

Similar health and safety charges have been brought against Mr Davis' company, Davis Plumbing and Heating Contractors Limited.

Judge James McNulty made an order returning both Mr Davis and his company for trial.

They are to appear before the Circuit Criminal Court at the end of the month when a trial date will be set.