Teenager charged following Leicester house fire

Friday 20 September 2013 11.04
The man will appear at Leicester Magistrates' Court tomorrow
The man will appear at Leicester Magistrates' Court tomorrow

An 18-year-old man has been charged with the murders of four members of the same family who died in a house fire.

Leicestershire Police said the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) had authorised the force to charge the man in relation to a deadly house blaze in Wood Hill, Leicester, in the early hours of Friday 13 September.

The family of Dublin-based neurosurgeon Muhammad Taufiq al-Sattar was killed in a suspected arson attack at their home last week.

The fire killed Shehnila Taufiq, who was in her 40s, her 19-year-old daughter Zainab and sons Bilal, 17, and Jamal, 15.

Mr Sattar is a consultant paediatrician who works between a number of Irish hospitals including Beaumont, Temple Street, the Mater Private and the Hermitage Clinic.

Steve Chappell, chief crown prosecutor at CPS East Midlands, said lawyers had decided there was sufficient evidence to charge and it was in the public interest for a prosecution to take place.

He said: "It is important to note proceedings are now active, and the accused is entitled to a fair trial.

"Nothing should be said or reported that would prejudice that right."

The man will appear at Leicester Magistrates' Court tomorrow.