Father and son in Turkey stand accused of murdering two women from Northern Ireland

Monday 09 September 2013 19.41
Marion Graham and Cathy Dinsmore were stabbed to death in Turkey in 2011
Marion Graham and Cathy Dinsmore were stabbed to death in Turkey in 2011

Final arguments have been heard at the trial in Turkey where a father and son stand accused of murdering two women from Northern Ireland.

Marion Graham and Cathy Dinsmore were found stabbed to death in an isolated forest overlooking the port city of Izmir in 2011.

Recep Cetin has admitted carrying out the double murder.

His father Eyup has been accused of complicity in the murders, but has denied the charges.

Marion Graham was holidaying in the resort town of Kusadasi, on the Aegean coast, with her daughter Shannon and friend Cathy Dinsmore when the murders took place in 2011.

Recep Cetin, who worked as a waiter in Kusadasi, was dating Shannon who was 15 years old at the time.

Mr Cetin is understood to have been putting pressure on both Shannon and her mother to be allowed marry the teenager.

He took Ms Graham and Ms Dinsmore for a drive on the pretext of a shopping trip.

Their bodies were later discovered in woods. They had both been stabbed multiple times.

Eyup Cetin denies he was involved in the murders, saying he would have tried to stop them if he had been aware that they were going to take place.

A secret witness testified to have seen both Recep Cetin and his father near the murder scene near Izmir.

Mobile phone reports requested by the judges also suggested that Eyup Cetin was around the forest where the murders took place.

Recep Cetin claimed to have been 17 years old but bone marrow tests later proved that he was actually 22.

In court today, the judges rejected the defendant's lawyer's request for a further mental examination of Recep Cetin.

Today the judges ruled there was no need for another medical assessment, citing an earlier health report and testimonies of Recep in the previous trials about him never having any psychological problems.

The defendant's lawyer had made the application because two of the four judges presiding over the case were replaced at the last hearing.

There are no jury trials in Turkey.

Afterwards, both the prosecution and defence said they did not have any further issues to be investigated by the court.

The public prosecutor then read out final arguments arguing that both the father and the son were involved in the murder.

Lawyer for Recep Cetin submitted his final defence, claiming his client committed the crime under heavy provocation.

The lawyer for Eyup Cetin is expected to present his final defence during the next trial date on 2 October.

The lawyer for the victims' families, Baris Kaska, said they are very pleased with the public prosecutor's consideration of the case and unless something extreme happens there will be a verdict on 2 October.

There were no members of the Dinsmore or Graham families in court today.

They travelled to Izmir for the last hearing on 29 August, when it was expected the verdict was going to be delivered.

It is now expected that a verdict will be handed down on 2 October.