IMO and HSE discuss hospital arrangements for junior doctors' strike

Friday 06 September 2013 13.18
The IMO's Eric Young said doctors had no alternative to going on strike
The IMO's Eric Young said doctors had no alternative to going on strike

A meeting between the HSE and the Irish Medical Organisation to discuss contingency arrangements for the one-day junior doctors' strike on 25 September has ended.

Non-consultant hospital doctors will take part in the national strike, aimed at forcing the HSE to reduce their working hours.

They want a ban on continuous 24-hour shifts, an end to the 100-hour working week and the introduction of the 48-hour per week EU Working Directive by the end of 2014.

IMO Director of Industrial Relations Eric Young said the contingency arrangements had been discussed in broad detail but the finer details still have to be put in place.

He said a further meeting will take place early next week to finalise the contingency plans.

Asked whether there had been any progress on the substantive issue of the strike, Mr Young said it was referred to in the course of today's conversation, but has been referred to the Labour Relations Commission and will be dealt with there.

However, no date has yet been fixed for LRC talks.

Mr Young earlier said doctors did not want to go on strike, but have no alternative to try to achieve change in the system.

He said the Taoiseach and the Minister for Health agree with their objectives, but they and the HSE all speak as if it is nothing to do with them and no one is taking responsibility.

The IMO has said junior doctors will provide emergency cover and urgent services, such as dialysis and oncology, during the strike.

Keywords: doctors, hse, imo