Irishman facing US child porn charges is remanded

Friday 16 August 2013 09.49
A formal request for the extradition of Eric Eoin Marques has now been received
A formal request for the extradition of Eric Eoin Marques has now been received

A 28-year-old Irishman, described by an FBI special agent as "the largest facilitator of child porn on the planet", has been again remanded in custody by the High Court.

The court was told Eric Eoin Marques plans to apply for bail when his case returns to court next month.

US authorities are seeking his extradition for alleged involvement in the distribution of online child pornography.

The court was told the formal extradition request had now been received and had been certified by the Minister for Justice.

He was remanded in custody until 11 September.

His lawyers said he will apply for bail on that date or before.

Mr Marques, who has Irish and US citizenship and lives in Mountjoy Square in Dublin, was arrested on 1 August on a provisional warrant alleging distribution and promotion of child pornography on the internet.

The legislation provides for him to be remanded in custody for 18 days after his arrest, pending a formal request for extradition.

If a formal request for extradition had not been received from the US by that time, he would be entitled to be released.

All relevant documents were handed into the High Court today.

He was refused bail two weeks ago after the court heard large sums of money had passed through his bank account and a search of his computer revealed he had been making inquiries about visas for Russia.

The US authorities are seeking his extradition on four charges.

They include advertising and distributing child pornography and conspiring to advertise and distribute child pornography.

The offences are alleged to have occurred between July 2008 and July 2009.

If convicted, he faces up to 30 years in prison.

The charges relate to images on a large number of websites described as being extremely violent, graphic and depicting the rape and torture of pre-pubescent children.

The charges were brought against Mr Marques following a year-long investigation involving both the FBI and gardaí.

He was arrested in Dublin on foot of a provisional extradition warrant issued by a US court on 29 July.

He had no previous convictions nor had he ever come to the attention of the authorities before.