Dublin City Council want Government to take over Poolbeg project

Monday 04 March 2013 22.40
A large number of councillors expressed shock at the latest report findings
A large number of councillors expressed shock at the latest report findings

Dublin city councillors have called on central government to take over the Poolbeg incinerator project.

This follows a local government audit which criticised as "weak" and "not adequate" Dublin City Council management's handling of the project.

The report highlighted a breach of procurement rules in appointing consultants whose fees totalled €28m compared to an original estimate of €8m.

The report also showed a €31m cost of relocating a premises for Westway Terminals Hibernian, which included a doubling of construction costs.

A follow up report from the Council's audit committee reported that council management arrangements for Poolbeg are still not "fit for purpose".

A large number of councillors expressed shock at the latest report findings.

Independent councillor Mannix Flynn called for the officials involved to be named.

Cllr Mary Fitzpatrick (FF) said the council management could not handle the project and it would be irresponsible and reckless not to hand it over to the Department of the Environment.

City Manager John Tierney again apologised for the mistakes made.

But he said governance issues had been dealt with and that officials wanted to meet with the audit committee to establish what further concerns they have.

But councillors voted by 25 votes in favour to seven against with three abstentions on a Fianna Fáil motion to hand over the Poolbeg project to the Department of the Environment.

Councillors also voted for an independent assessment of the council's handling of the project.