PSNI condemns Belfast gun attack

Monday 18 February 2013 12.24
Two men are in a serious but stable condition following the attack
Two men are in a serious but stable condition following the attack

The PSNI has condemned a gun attack in north Belfast in which two men were shot.

The men who were hit in the attack at around 7.30pm last night in the Oldpark Road area of North Belfast are in a serious but stable condition.

It is believed the gunman fired up to ten shots at a 24-year-old man standing beside a Seat Toledo car.

A 22-year-old man sitting inside the car at the time also sustained gunshot wounds.

Chief Inspector Andy Freeburn, the PSNI's North Belfast Area Commander, said women and children were nearby at the time of the incident.

"This was an utterly reckless attack with up to 40 members of the public, including women and children, in close proximity," he said.

"Two people have been very seriously injured, but we are lucky that we are not dealing with many more casualties today."

Chief Inspector Freeburn said the attack was "unacceptable" and no one had the right to put the safety of so many people at risk.

Sinn Féin MLA Gerry Kelly said: "This is the second shooting in North Belfast within the last week and has to be condemned.

"There is no place for these gun gangs in our community and the people do not want them."

SDLP councillor Nichola Mallon said she was repulsed by the attack.

"The spread of gunshots in a busy built-up residential area in the early evening shows a reckless regard for people living here," she said.