Man charged over hit-and-run death of Conor Hickey

Tuesday 29 January 2013 18.55
Conor Hickey was struck by a car at the junction of St Eithne Road and Fassaugh Road
Conor Hickey was struck by a car at the junction of St Eithne Road and Fassaugh Road

A 31-year-old man has been charged in connection with the death of a 14-year-old boy, who was struck by a car in Dublin in 2011.

Conor Hickey, from St Attracta Road in Cabra, suffered serious injuries when he was hit by a car at the junction of St Eithne Road and Fassaugh Road on 2 December.

The Cabra Gaelscoil Coláiste Mhuire second year pupil had been on his way to meet a friend when he was struck.

He died in hospital a day later.

Ruadhan Tracey with an address at Lagore Green, Dunshaughlin, Co Meath, appeared at Dublin District Court to face three charges.

It is alleged that on 2 December 2011, at Fassaugh Road, he was the driver of a 02-registered car that was involved in causing injuries to Conor and failed to remain at the scene.

Mr Tracey, who is originally from Drumcondra in Dublin, is also accused of driving while not holding a licence and it is alleged he was not insured at the time.

He spoke once during his hearing to tell Judge Clare Leonard that he wanted to be granted legal aid.

However, he has not yet indicated how he will plead.

State solicitor Domhnall Forde told Judge Leonard that he was seeking a six-month adjournment and he explained that other connected charges could be brought against Mr Tracey.

"More serious and indictable charges are under consideration," he said.

Defence solicitor Declan Fahy argued that better reasons had to be given for such a lengthy adjournment.

He asked the court to put the case back for a shorter period to allow the DPP to decide whether or not further charges will be brought against his client.

In reply, the State's solicitor said it was expected that there would be more serious connected charges.

He also added that the charges before the district court are "intrinsically linked with more serious matters".

Judge Leonard said she was satisfied with the reasons cited by the prosecution and agreed to adjourn the case for six months.

Mr Tracey, who is on bail, was granted legal aid and was ordered to appear again on 25 July.