Silvio Berlusconi to run for a fifth term as Italian prime minister

Sunday 09 December 2012 07.25
Former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi tells journalists he intends to run for a fifth term
Former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi tells journalists he intends to run for a fifth term

Billionaire media baron Silvio Berlusconi, who resigned in disgrace a year ago with Italy tottering through the European debt crisis, has announced he is running for a fifth term as premier.

Mr Berlusconi, 76, reluctantly stepped down in November 2011 after pressure from international financial markets.

He was later convicted of tax fraud and has faced sexual misconduct allegations.

An unelected government of technocrats, led by widely respected economist Mario Monti, was appointed to replace him.

Opinion polls have seen the popularity of Mr Berlusconi's Freedom People Party plunge to far below that of Italy's other large party, the centre-left.

But he is confident he can achieve victory.

"I'm running to win," Mr Berlusconi told reporters outside the training facilities of his soccer team AC Milan.

No date has been set for elections, linked to the end of parliament's term in late April.

But Mr Berlusconi's decision earlier in the week to yank the support of his party, increased the likelihood that Italy's president would dissolve the legislature and call early elections.

"It seems to me that 10 March has been indicated as a possible date for early elections and that seems a date that's fine with me," Mr Berlusconi said.

Mr Monti was flying back from a conference in France for a meeting this evening at the presidential palace to take the pulse of political tensions.

President Giorgio Napolitano has made clear he wants parliament to at least pass a vital budget law later this month and avoid a "precipitous" demise amid mounting political uncertainty.

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ. Click here for Terms of use.