Muslim Brotherhood member killed in Egypt

Monday 26 November 2012 11.59
There have been protests in Cairo against the president's move
There have been protests in Cairo against the president's move

A member of the Muslim Brotherhood has been killed and 60 others injured in an attack in Egypt.

The attack happened at the main office of the Brotherhood in the Egyptian Nile Delta town of Damanhour, the website of the Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party has said.

Earlier, courts in Egypt were suspended in a protest at President Mohammed Mursi's decision to assume extensive new powers.

The decision to strike was taken at an emergency meeting of the judges union.

They called on Mr Mursi to cancel his declaration and reappoint the prosecutor general who was sacked on Thursday.

There have been further clashes in Cairo between police and people protesting against the president's decree.

In a statement this afternoon, the Egyptian presidency has reiterated the “temporary nature” of President Mursi’s decree and said that this is a transitional period.

It said it wants dialogue with political forces.

The presidency also added it needed to hold to account those responsible for crimes and corruption of the “previous regime”. 

Meanwhile, Egypt’s Supreme Judicial Council has called on judges to continue work.

The council said Mr Mursi’s decree must be limited to presidential laws and decisions related to “sovereign matters”.

The Muslim Brotherhood - the Islamist movement that backs Mr Mursi's Freedom and Justice Party - has called for demonstrations across Egypt today in support of the president.

Prominent opposition leader Mohamed ElBaradei said yesterday that there could be no dialogue with Egypt's president until he scrapped a "dictatorial" decree that he said gave Mr Mursi the powers of a pharaoh.

"There is no room for dialogue when a dictator imposes the most oppressive, abhorrent measures and then says 'let us split the difference'," Mr ElBaradei, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, said in an interview with Reuters and The Associated Press.

Mr ElBaradei, who had earlier in the day met opposition leaders and said he expected to be coordinator of a new National Salvation Front, said Mr Mursi's decree threatened Egypt's troubled transition and action was needed to stop a "cycle of violence".

"How are we going to do that? I do not see any other way other than through Mr Mursi rescinding his dictatorial declaration," the 70-year-old former UN diplomat said, adding the decree created a "new pharaoh".

Mr ElBaradei had met other opposition figures, such as former presidential candidates leftist Hamdeen Sabahy and Amr Moussa, the former Arab League chief. A third presidential candidate, Abdel Moneim Abol Fotouh, sent a representative.

"We will have to continue to escalate our level of expressing resistance, peaceful disobedience," Mr ElBaradei said, adding the aim was to show the depth of opposition.

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ. Click here for Terms of use.