Everyman Theatre in Cork city evacuated over chimney fireWednesday 07 November 2012 23.46
Around 400 secondary school students were evacuated from the Everyman Theatre in Cork city after a small chimney fire broke out in a public house next door.
The smoke was spotted by a pedestrian on St Patrick's Quay who alerted the emergency services at around 11am this morning.
The cast, staff and students attending a performance of ‘The Shakespeare Sessions’ by the Cyclone Theatre Company were evacuated from the building in under two minutes.
Five units of the Cork City Fire Brigade responded to the emergency call, which saw McCurtain Street closed to traffic for over 30 minutes.
The fire was extinguished quickly, and the performance resumed a short time afterwards.
The students were from secondary schools in Kenmare, Co Kerry, Mallow, Crosshaven and Cork city.