Man critical after Halloween costume catches fire

Thursday 01 November 2012 22.00
1 of 2
Matthew Sheridan was celebrating Halloween at Halo nightclub in Galway
Matthew Sheridan was celebrating Halloween at Halo nightclub in Galway
Over 1,000 calls were received by emergency services in the eastern region alone
Over 1,000 calls were received by emergency services in the eastern region alone

A critically injured medical student, whose Halloween costume caught fire in a Galway nightclub, has been transferred to the burns unit in St James's Hospital in Dublin.

Matthew Sheridan from Dublin was at the Halo nightclub in Galway city when the incident happened.

The NUIG student was one of a number of people injured in Halloween related incidents last night.

It was a busy night for the emergency services across the country with hundreds of calls recorded by the ambulance and fire services.

Over 1,000 calls were received by emergency services in the eastern region alone.

The calls ranged from out-of-control bonfires to burnt-out cars.

Gardaí said they made a number of public order arrests across the country.

A 12-year-old boy was injured after a firework exploded in his face yesterday evening.

He suffered second-degree burns to his face, neck and hands in the incident in Tallaght.

In a separate incident in Tallaght, a woman in her 20s was injured after an explosion at a bonfire.

An ambulance was stoned by a group of youths as paramedics returned to Beaumont Hospital with a patient, while another emergency service vehicle was stoned in Tallaght.

Cork City Fire Brigade reported a very quiet Halloween night in the city and county.