Longford residents warned over dangerous gases under homes

Friday 05 October 2012 22.06
A HSE report found that dangerous gases were building up underneath the houses
A HSE report found that dangerous gases were building up underneath the houses

Over 300 residents on a housing estate in the midlands have been warned about the risk of high gas levels in the area and the threat of fire in their homes.

A dangerous build up of methane and carbon monoxide gas levels has already led to an explosion at a house in the Gleann Riada Estate in Longford and a HSE-commissioned report says urgent repairs to the foundation structures of the sewers are required to prevent future problems.

However local residents have said they cannot afford this major work and they told Minister of State Jan O'Sullivan today they fear for their lives.

There has been confirmation tonight of another incident in the estate, with high gas levels leading to a blast in another home.

Longford County Council has warned residents not to light fires in their sitting rooms, which has been described by home owners there as bizarre but extremely worrying.

Part of the Gleann Riada estate was under the control of a NAMA-appointed receiver and a block of empty apartments was demolished by Longford County Council in August.

However, over 70 houses remaining on the development are privately-owned.

In a letter handed to Ms O’Sullivan today, the residents also questioned the whereabouts of water hydrants and public sewer connections for many of the houses and asked her to investigate.

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ. Click here for Terms of use.