The ESB has confirmed that a man working as a contractor for ESB Networks died after being electrocuted while erecting an electricity pole in Co Clare yesterday.
A second man in a JCB, who was assisting in the operation, was taken to hospital in Galway.
It is believed the pole they were erecting came in contact with live wires.
A number of investigations are now under way, involving the gardaí, ESB Networks and the Health and Safety Authority.
It is believed the men were working to connect a house to the electricity network when the incident occurred around midday.