The Prime Minister of Mauritius is to invite officers from the Garda Síochána and the PSNI to go to the island to assist in the investigation into the murder of Michaela McAreavey.
Navinchandra Ramgoolam said he is writing to both forces to invite them to send officers to help with the inquiry.
He said in his view the sooner gardaí and PSNI officers arrived in Mauritius the better and his government was determined to find who perpetrated what he called “this heinous crime”.
The prime minister’s move follows the widespread revulsion which followed the publication of photographs of the body of Mrs McAreavey in a Mauritian newspaper on Sunday.
The McAreavey and Harte families have rejected an apology from the Mauritian newspaper that published the images.
Sunday Times director, General Imran Hosany said the motive was not sensationalism but was "to recall that such a heinous crime remained unpunished".
In a joint statement the families said: "The hurt this man and his newspaper have caused over the past 48 hours cannot be undone".
"As an editor, he made a calculated decision to use photographs and images that no responsible media outlet would have touched. He further exacerbated his actions by printing an inexcusable editorial in a feeble attempt to justify what was wholly unjustifiable."
The families said the best and most obvious form of apology would be to tell police how the newspaper received the photographs.
Prime Minister Ramgoolam described the publication of the photographs as an outrageous thing to happen.
Speaking on BBC Radio Ulster, Mr Ramgoolam said the newspaper may have committed a criminal offence and is being investigated.
He said he believed the police had done their job quite well but they have a jury system in Mauritius and their decision is final.
The prime minister accepted that what had happened to the McAreaveys may impact tourism to the country.
He said Mauritians were distressed by what had happened.
Mauritian police yesterday raided the newspaper offices in Port Louis in search of the crime scene photographs.
Earlier, the Mauritian government condemned the publication of the photographs.
In a statement, the office of the Prime Minister said: "This is a clear illustration of one of the most despicable methods of abuse and breach of the right to freedom of expression.
"It shows an utter lack of respect for and a reckless infliction of further hardship on the bereaved families.
"This act runs counter to the deep attachment of our country and our citizens to family values and respect of those who have lost their beloved ones."
Mrs McAreavey, 27, from Co Tyrone, was killed in her room at the Legends hotel in Mauritius in January 2011.
She had been on her honeymoon with her husband, John.
Last week, two former workers at the hotel were found not guilty of her murder.
Fianna Fáil earlier called for a senior garda investigator to be sent to Mauritius to review the files relating to the murder.
Its justice spokesperson Niall Collins urged Minister for Justice Alan Shatter to bring the matter to Cabinet.
Mr Collins said the involvement of the gardaí would underscore the Irish people's disgust at the failure of Mauritian authorities to prosecute Mrs McAreavey's killer or prevent the defilement of her memory in the Mauritian press.
His call came after the Government announced it was to send an ambassador to Mauritius to make an official complaint after the publication of the photographs.
Northern Ireland Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness has said he will travel to London this week to raise the matter with the Mauritian High Commissioner.