Work continues on flooding clean-up operation

Friday 29 June 2012 21.53
Douglas was one of the areas badly hit by yesterday's flooding
Douglas was one of the areas badly hit by yesterday's flooding

Work is continuing on a clean-up operation in parts of Cork and Belfast that were affected by yesterday morning’s flooding.

Cork County Council crews worked late into the night in Douglas, Glanmire and Clonakility and returned this morning to help with clean-up operations.

Skips were being provided and flood victims were offered free access to Community Recycling Sites.

Householders in the affected areas have been making arrangements for alternative accommodation and businesses are looking to deal with the damage done to their premises.

The Department of the Environment has confirmed that financial aid for Cork victims will be handled by the Department of Social Welfare's emergency fund and that no separate aid fund will be created.

Some of those residents have been hit by flooding for the second time in three years and may not be covered by insurance.

The Irish Insurance Federation says it will be three to four weeks before the extent of the damage, caused by flood water in Co Cork is fully known.

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, the federation's Michael Horan said that claim assessment requests are just starting to come in.

Mayor of Clonakilty Cionnaith Ó Súilleabháin has said that the town is "open for business" following the flash flooding it experienced yesterday.

Speaking on Morning Ireland, Mr Ó Súilleabháin said that almost every home and business in the town’s main thoroughfare had been affected by the flooding.

However he said that the clean-up, which was aided by huge numbers of volunteers, transformed the town within five or six hours.

"The message I want to put out there is that Clonakilty is open for business."

In Northern Ireland, families whose houses were damaged in the floods have been told by their insurance companies that they could face several months out of their homes.

In Dunmurry, 20 families were told they should move out while their homes are cleaned and assessed.

Torrential rain in recent days saw flash flooding render many main routes, particularly in south and east Belfast, impassable.

Although there are no reports of any fresh flooding, Northern Ireland Water said it was on "high alert" overnight in the event of any further problems.

It said its staff have been involved in cleaning up 158 properties flooded with sewage, and this operation resumed this morning.

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use