Church settles NOTW phone-hacking action

Monday 27 February 2012 23.01
1 of 2
Charlotte Church has settled her case with the News of the World
Charlotte Church has settled her case with the News of the World
News of the World have admitted to hacking phones belonging to celebrities
News of the World have admitted to hacking phones belonging to celebrities

Singer Charlotte Church and her parents settled her phone-hacking damages action against the publishers of the now defunct News of the World for €700,000 at a High Court in London.

The settlement, one of the highest to be paid out in the phone-hacking scandal, includes €350,000 in legal costs.

Lawyers for the 26-year-old and her parents, James and Maria, confirmed last week that terms had been agreed with News Group Newspapers.

The court heard that 33 articles in the News of the World were the product of hacking into her family's voicemails when Church was a teenager.

The singer said afterwards she had been "sickened and disgusted" at what she called the industrial scale of the paper's illegal activities.

Ms Church’s phone had been hacked in 2002 and journalists also placed her under surveillance and gained access to her medical records.

The court was told her mother had been coerced into an interview with the paper after reporters gained information from hacked voicemails about her medical history.

Ms Church, who gave evidence to the ongoing Leveson inquiry into British press conduct last November, was one of several high-profile figures who have launched legal action against the British arm of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp.

Deals in 15 cases were agreed earlier this month while a further 37 claims were settled in January, with payouts ranging from about €50,000 to €160,000.