Ó Muircheartaigh rules out Presidential bid

Wednesday 19 October 2011 15.25
Micheál Ó Muircheartaigh consulted his family before making his decision
Micheál Ó Muircheartaigh consulted his family before making his decision

Retired broadcaster Micheál Ó Muircheartaigh has said he does not intend contesting the Presidential election later this year.

In a statement this morning, the 81-year-old said he believed it was for the benefit of the country to have a President who is part of the constitutional system.

Last week Mr Ó Muircheartaigh said he would consider running for the Presidency after what he described as a vast surge of support from the people.

The former GAA commentator said he had been approached by politicians and would run as an Independent if he was to enter the race.

However, he said that he would have to consult with his family before making a decision.

In his statement, Mr Ó Muircheartaigh said he wished to end the speculation that he might consider running by confirming he did not intend to contest the election.

The 81-year-old said he was honoured and humbled that so many people from all sections of society had contacted him offering support and assistance.