Sunday World apologises to councillorTuesday 09 November 2010 17.35
The Sunday World newspaper has apologised to former Sinn Féin Dublin City Councillor Christy Burke over an article published in the run-up to the last General Election.
The High Court was told that an article by Paul Williams in May 2007 reported alleged links between the IRA and another man, Christy Griffin, who had been convicted of a serious offence and was a garda suspect for criminal activity.
The article also alleged that Christy Burke put down the phone when on RTÉ radio's Liveline programme to avoid debating the issue with Paul Williams.
It was also claimed that Christy Burke was being untruthful when he said during the programme that he did not know Mr Griffin.
In its apology the Sunday World said both of these allegations were untrue.
It also accepted that Mr Burke's knowledge of the other man was as stated by him in the broadcast.
Lawyers for the newspaper said they wished to apologise for any hurt, embarrassment, and distress that the article had caused to Christy Burke.
No other details of the settlement were disclosed. Afterwards Mr Burke said he was happy with the settlement and was always confident that justice would be done.
Mr Burke resigned from Sinn Féin in June 2009 after 25 years with the party. He is now an Independent councillor.