A 13-year-old Cork boy who received serious burns while sniffing petrol has been transferred to the special burns unit at Our Lady's Hospital for Sick Children in Crumlin, Dublin.
The boy burned 42% of his body.
The boy was on waste ground on Mount St Joseph's Avenue in Gurranabraher with a number of other young people when the incident happened at around 9pm yesterday evening.
It is understood they were sniffing petrol from plastic bottles and using cigarette lighters to heat the liquid to make it vaporise more quickly, when some of the petrol caught fire and exploded on his chest and stomach.
Neighbours and gardaí who were called to the scene extinguished the boy's clothing using a fire extinguisher and he was taken to Cork University Hospital where his condition is described as critical.
Gardaí are conducting an investigation into the incident and have appealed for witnesses to contact them at Gurranabraher Garda Station.