Izevbekhai supporters to fight deportation

Wednesday 19 March 2008 20.22
Pamela Izevbekhai - At the garda immigration bureau yesterday
Pamela Izevbekhai - At the garda immigration bureau yesterday

Supporters of Pamela Izevbekhai say they will be going to the High Court either this evening or tomorrow morning to seek an injunction against her deportation.

They are challenging a decision by the Department of Justice, which stated that she did not have grounds to seek a Subsidiary Protection Order to allow her to remain in this country.

Her supporters claim that new evidence about intimidation of witnesses back in Nigeria was not included in the original High Court challenge.

Ms Izevbekhai who lost her long running battle against deportation arrived at the Balseskin Reception Centre in Finglas, north Dublin, in advance of her deportation today.

Pamela Izevbekhai arrived with her daughters, aged 5 and 7, at midday.

Ms Izevbekhai fled to Ireland in 2005 because of worries that her husband's family in Nigeria would cary out female genital mutilation on her two daughters.

She had sought a Subsidiary Protection Order to allow her remain in the country, but this morning she said she doubted that Minister for Justice Brian Lenihan had been given her file.

Ms Izevbekhai said she had no idea of the reception she would receive on her return to Nigeria, but she knew it would not be good.

She said that her two children had no idea that the deportation was now to take place, and she prayed that the Minister for Justice might intervene, even at this late stage.

Her supporters say they may now seek an injunction to block the deportation on the grounds that evidence about intimidation of witnesses was not included in the original High Court challenge.