The UK's Channel 4 has said it will not cancel a programme which features photographs taken after the car crash in which Britain's Princess Diana died.
Channel 4's head of history, science and religion, Hamish Mykura, told the BBC's World at One that they 'thought long and hard' before deciding to include the image of the 1997 Paris crash scene in the film.
The documentary 'Diana: The Witnesses in the Tunnel' set out to lay to rest conspiracy theories surrounding Diana's death, he said.
'Despite the fact that very few of the witness statements that have been recorded seem to tally with one another, there is in fact an undeniable source of evidence about what did happen and that is from the extensive photographic record taken in the tunnel,' Mr Mykura said.
He pointed out that the image which Channel 4 intends to show was published on the front pages of some British newspapers last year.
Channel 4 intends to obscure some details of the picture, which has previously been published unobscured by some foreign newspapers.
'There are photos of injured and dying people taken that night,' said Mr Mykura. 'Channel 4 elected not to use them. We wouldn't use them, we never will use them, because I think there is absolutely a question of taste and judgment to be made here.
The broadcaster has insisted that the film, which is to be broadcast next Wednesday, is a responsible documentary and said it had 'carefully and sensitively selected' which pictures to use.
The Conservative party's Shadow Culture Secretary, Hugo Swire, had called on the UK TV station to cancel the documentary, saying it should be remembered that Diana was a mother as well as a public figure.