350 jobs at Cork Motorola plant under threat

Tuesday 30 January 2007 23.59
Motorola - Global cuts threaten Cork jobs
Motorola - Global cuts threaten Cork jobs

Around 350 jobs are under threat in Cork following an announcement by the mobile phone company Motorola that it is considering shutting its engineering plant there.

Motorola told employees at the plant today that it is considering ceasing production in Cork as part of a plan to cut 3,500 jobs worldwide.

Motorola has been operating in Cork for almost 20 years and is mainly involved in software development.

Today, workers at the plant were told that if worldwide plans to cut 3,500 jobs goes ahead, the Cork plant and its 350 employees are at risk. 

But the company refused to make any further comment. 

Last year, 30 people were laid off in April, and a further 60 people were laid off before Christmas.

It is also understood that no new contracts have been undertaken at the Cork plant since last October.

Earlier this year, Motorola – which is the world's second biggest maker of mobile phones - outlined plans to cut 5% of its 70,000 strong work force worldwide after reporting that fourth quarter profits fell by 50% due to a sharp drop in phone prices amid stiff competition.