Lawlor's son slams newspaper reportsTuesday 25 October 2005 13.54
The son of the former Fianna Fáil TD Liam Lawlor has spoken publicly for the first time about the coverage in the Irish print media on the day after his father's death.
Speaking from Moscow, Niall Lawlor told RTÉ's Today with Pat Kenny programme that the coverage of the alleged circumstances surrounding his father's death had been a shot at the open wound of his family.
Niall Lawlor added that a dead man has no recourse and said that his priority now was to get his father's body home and say goodbye to him.
The Minister for Justice, Michael McDowell, has said the print media coverage of Mr Lawlor's death was grossly offensive, cruel and lacking in foundation and fact.
Mr McDowell said that defamation was not enough to deal with this kind of posthumous coverage.
The minister said that legislation was now being drafted to establish an appropriate press complaints council.
Mr Lawlor was killed in a car crash in the Russian capital in the early hours of Saturday morning.
The driver of the car was also killed and a Ukrainian woman, who was a back seat passenger, was injured.