U2 looks set to drop objection to docklands plan

Thursday 10 January 2002 17.40
U2 looks set to drop objection to docklands plan

A public hearing into the proposed demolition of buildings in Dublin Docklands will go ahead later this month. The hearing will take place even though rock group U2 has indicated that it may not now object to the compulsory purchase order on its recording studio at Hanover Quay.

The band had lodged objections to the proposal with An Bord Pleanála and it was speculated that they were going to attend an oral hearing into the matter on 29 January at the Gresham Hotel.

However, the band has now said that while it was completely happy with its studio on Hanover Quay and did not want to move it would "certainly be interested" if the Dublin Docklands Development Authority could come up with an alternative near-by site.

In a statement from the band's company, Principal Management, it said that it was now in discussions with the authority. If successful, this could mean that the 400-square metre single story plus mezzanine building, where U2 recorded the multi-million selling album "All That You Can't Leave Behind", could be knocked down by agreement.

However, An Bord Pleanála has said that two other objections had been lodged and that other people were entitled to object at the oral hearing. On that basis, the public hearing will still go ahead.