Are you looking for a tasty alternative to traditional sausage rolls? Then try out these turkey sausage rolls; everyone, including your weaning baby, will love the subtle sweetness from the apples! They make a great finger food for the whole family and can be baked from fresh or frozen for a quick and tasty treat.
Serves 4 adults
- 300g minced turkey
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 3 heaped tbsp. applesauce (2 small apples)
- 2 tbsp. flour or breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. fresh or dried thyme
- 1 pack puff pastry
- 1 small egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Line a baking tray with grease-proof paper. Remove the pastry from the freezer and set aside to soften.
- Meanwhile, prepare the applesauce. Peel, core and chop 2 small apples and add to a pot with 100ml water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Once softened, remove from heat. Blitz until smooth, about 30 seconds, adding more water as required. Set aside.
- Place all ingredients except the pastry and egg into a food processor. Blend on high speed for 20 seconds, until combined.
- Prepare the pastry by rolling it out. Cut lengthways into two rectangular strips.
- Using a spatula, scoop out half of the minced mixture. Arrange into a sausage shape in the middle of one of the pastry strips. Make sure it is not too large to ensure it will cook through.
- Roll the pastry around the meat to form a sausage roll, sealing the edges using a fork.
- Repeat with the other half of the pastry. Cut each roll into 8 mini rolls. If planning on freezing, do so now.
- Brush with the beaten egg and bake for 25 minutes until golden, crispy and cooked through.
Storage and serving:
This recipe is perfect for your weaning baby from 6 months. Offer 1-2 rolls as a finger food with some easy tomato sauce for dipping for the perfect family friendly baby led weaning treat!
Recipe courtesy of Siobhan Berry of www.mummycooks.ie