- 275g (10oz) fresh rhubarb stalks, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 225g (8oz) large strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 275g (10oz) caster sugar
- 1 piece of stem ginger, drained and finely chopped (optional)
- 175g (6oz) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 175g (6oz) butter, at room temperature
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Crème Anglaise (see link below), to serve
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F/gas mark 3).
- Arrange the rhubarb and strawberries in a large pie dish and sprinkle over 100g (4oz) of the sugar and the stem ginger, if using.
- Sieve the flour into a bowl with the baking powder. Place the butter in a separate bowl with the remaining sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract, then fold in the sieved flour mixture.
- Carefully spread the cake mixture over the fruit and bake for 45-50 minutes, until the sponge is well risen and golden and an inserted skewer comes out clean. Spoon into warmed serving bowls and pour over some crème anglaise to serve.
- Cook Ahead: Prepare this pudding before your guests arrive and then leave at room temperature until needed. Flash in the oven to warm through to serve. However, as it only takes minutes to make, it's best prepared to order.