Chorizo, Chicken Bean Stew
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 150g chorizo sausage, cut into chunky discs
- 6 chicken legs
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 large red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 150ml red wine
- 2 x 400g tins of plum tomatoes
- 500ml chicken stock
- 1 x 400g tin of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large casserole over a high heat. Add the chorizo and fry until it is sizzling and roaring red.
- Remove the chorizo from the pan with a slotted spoon, leaving the red oils behind.
- Season the chicken legs with sea salt and ground black pepper and add them to the pan in batches, browning until they have a good colour on all sides. Set aside with the chorizo.
- Fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until the onion has softened. Pour in the red wine and tip in the tomatoes.
- Using a potato masher or the back of a fork, roughly mash the tomatoes, then pour in the stock and bring the liquid to a steady boil.
- Return the chicken legs and chorizo to the stew. Bring back to the boil, cover with a lid and simmer for about 1 hour until the chicken is cooked all the way through.
- About 5 minutes before you serve, stir through the
- beans and once they are warm, serve generous portions of the stew in deep warmed dishes.
- Garnish with flat-leaf parsley and dig in with lots of crusty bread on the table to mop up all those delicious juices.