- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 sweet potato
- 75 g red lentils
- 0.5 l vegetable stock, salt free
- 2 clove garlic rushed
- 1 tbs rapeseed oil
- 400 g chopped tomatoes (tinned is perfect for soup)
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 30 a tomato puree
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lime zest
- Soak the lentil in cold water for about 20 minutes.
- Peel & Chop Onions, Peel & Dice Carrots & crush Garlic.
- Grate the sweet potato.
- Heat the Rapeseed oil in a pot and add the Lentils, garlic, onion and carrots to sweat for 2-3 minutes with the fresh thyme. Add pinch Nutmeg.
- Add the chopped Tomato, & tomato puree followed by warm vegetable stock.
- Now add the grated sweet potato.
- Stir occasionally and add some pepper.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the Soup to a blender blitz the soup, return to the heat then re-boil for 4-5 minutes.
- Just before service add some more fresh ground pepper and serve into each bowl some Lime zest and squeeze of juice.
- Chives are great with this soup also.
What a cheap and easy soup this is to make without feeling guilty. I have yet to serve this to someone who thinks it is nothing other than superb. Right away it’s a winner as it ‘s perfect for fighting Flus with its high nutritional benefits, full of vibrancy, fibre and goodness! Any one that knows me will know that I love Lime zest in soup as it cleans your taste buds and give a lovely zesty zing which is ideal replacement for salt along with the herbs.
Brian’s Tips: Serve with natural yogurt. Chopped parsley, chives or Basil work well sprinkled on top. You may add bacon or leftover cooked ham to this soup. Great with Crutons on top and I cook mine in a little Chili Oil. Soup will freeze very well.