- 200g of wholegrain flour
- 275g strong white flour
- 350ml buttermilk
- 1 generous teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 1 large free-range egg
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 handful of wild garlic leaves, roughly chopped
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Grease and flour a 900g loaf tin.
- Combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda, wild garlic and salt in a mixing bowl.
- In a Pyrex measuring jug, measure out the buttermilk and then whisk in the egg and honey.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, and then pour in the wet mixture. Add a little extra flour if you find the dough is too wet and sticky.
- Using a wooden spoon, bring the mix together to form a dough. Shape into a rough oval and place in the loaf tin.
- Sprinkle with a little flour on top and bake in the oven for 35 minutes. The bread is cooked when you can turn it out on a wire rack, and when the bottom is tapped it should sound hollow.
- Allow to cool before slicing and enjoying with a little butter and jam.