- 200 g butter
- 200 g golden caster sugar
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 large eggs - lighty beaten
- 750 g pears - peeled & roughly chopped
- 40 g butter
- 0.5 lemon
- 3 tblsp muscovado sugar
- teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Melt butter and muscovado sugar with the cinnamon in a saucepan over a moderate heat, stirring occasionally, add pears and let them cook in the melted butter and sugar until they are tender and the sauce is thick and coats them. Stop before the sugar turn dark and bitter - set aside to cool.
- Cream butter and golden caster sugar until light and creamy - almost white - add eggs and flour alternatively - little at a time - so that the mixture does not curdle. Fold in remaining flour & baking powder followed by the pears & syrup.
- Scoop the mixture into 2 24cm loose bottomed cake tins buttered if you have them otherwise line loaf tins with greaseproof paper buttered lightly and place in Oven for 45 minutes at 160C/140C/Gas Mark 3
- Remove from oven & leave to cool in tin.
- Serve with ice cream and home made fudge sauce.
Gets easier to make after first time. A real treat. .